Last week we talked about how to perfectly roast spaghetti squash, and since we have mastered that now, I’m here to give you just a little idea (a delicious little idea) of what you could do with that squash. Honestly, this recipe idea was the fuel behind the fire of learning to cook squash correctly in the first place so I thought it very important to share it with you immediately.
So you take the squash right? And you add it to some caramelized onions and some bacon and what you end up with is just heaven on earth. I’m so serious. So, I know I’ve been doing this “mostly vegan” thing.. but the thing about being MOSTLY vegan is that you’re not TOTALLY vegan.. so there is still room for things like bacon. So add this as a side dish to your favorite meal.. or eat it straight out of the pan standing in your kitchen immediately after you cook it, you can decide which way is best!
Roasted Spaghetti Squash with Bacon and Caramelized Onions
This easy and delicious dish will compliment any of your favorite meals, or make a meal of it alone!
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- 1 spaghetti squash (~2-3 pounds)
- 6 slices thick cut bacon
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Start by roasting your spaghetti squash, follow directions here.
- While squash is roasting, dice bacon and cook over medium high heat in large skillet until crispy. Remove from pan and drain.
- Leave just enough bacon grease in pan to lightly coat the bottom and reduce heat to low, add thinly sliced red onion and cook on low until caramelized, stirring occasionally. This should take roughly the same amount of time as your squash, if you find your onions are done before your squash simply remove pan from heat until your squash is ready.
- When your onions are caramelized add the garlic to the pan and saute until fragrant (~1 minute).
- Add prepared squash and bacon to the pan and season with cumin, salt and pepper to taste, stirring gently until warmed through.
Source: See Brooke Cook Original
The easiest way to cook spaghetti squash! Eat it straight out of the oven or try subbing it out for pasta in your favorite dish.read more
Your search for the ultimate, chewy gluten free chocolate chip cookie recipe ends now!read more
Your favorite comfort food with none of the guilt!read more
I'm no gonna lie ya'll, giving up cheese has been hard! I'm also not gonna lie in saying I've definitely had some cheat meals on this vegan adventure, of which I think all involved cheese, but for the most part I've been pretty strict with myself. For me, vegan...read more
Seven years ago I sat at a different Macbook, in a different living room, in a different state as a very different Brooke and I nervously wrote my very first blog post which was accompanied by a terrible picture taken on whatever the coolest iPhone at the time was...read more
With a handful of simple, healthy ingredients you can make this incredible, satisfying meal that everyone is sure to love.read more
Guys.. I'm still a (mostly) vegan! I know, I'm as shocked as you are. But, the thing is, I feel great! And it's really not as hard as I thought it would be. While I am not striving for perfection here (for me, that's unrealistic), I am almost two months in to a "two...read more