Summertimme and the cookin’s easyyy.. okay so it’s still not quite summer, but I’m prepping hard over here. To me summertime includes tons of outdoor activities that can go late into the evening which means I’m looking for something quick, healthy and satisfying to fill up my belly when I finally get home. This salad hits the mark, it isn’t pretentious, it just is what it is which is simple and flavorful.. and that, my friends, is a beautiful thing.
The prep time here is minimal, peeling and chopping the sweet potatoes is about the hardest part. After that’s over everything else can be done simply while the potatoes roast, including making the avocado cilantro dressing, which is as amazing as it is easy. For an added protein boost you could throw in some chicken, steak or shrimp; however, even as a true meat lover, I found the sweet potatoes to be so hearty I wasn’t missing anything. This will be making it into the regular summer rotation for sure, what’s on your summer must-cook list?
Spicy Southwestern Salad with Cilantro Avocado Dressing
This Spicy Southwestern Salad with Cilantro Avocado Dressing is the ultimate in summertime quick dishes.
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 heaping teaspoon cumin
- 1 heaping teaspoon chili powder
- Sprinkle of cayenne (optional, for heat)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 14-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14-ounce can sweet corn, rinsed and drained
- Feta cheese
- 1 romaine heart, rinsed and chopped
Cilantro Avacado Dressing:
- Half an avocado
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup cilantro leaves and stems
- 1 small clove of garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Squeeze of lime juice
- Preheat the oven to 400º. and place chopped sweet potatoes on cookies sheet. Mix the olive oil, cumin, chili powder and cayenne (if using) together in a small bowl then pour over sweet potatoes and toss to coat evenly. Roast potatoes for 10 minutes before stirring. Turn heat up to 425º, and roast for another 10-15 minutes. Check, stir, and bake until the sweet potatoes are just barely roasted brown on the outside. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, pulse all the dressing ingredients in a food processor until mostly smooth.
- Top lettuce with beans, corn, sweet potatoes, feta and top with the dressing, serve immediately.
Source: Pinch of Yum